Apprenticeship Funding

As an approved training provider by the Education & Skills Funding Agency (ESFA), Datalaw / Law Apprenticeships can provide the training and claim this funding directly from the government on your practice’s behalf.

Apprenticeship Funding

Approved Training Provider

With our assistance, you can claim government funding for every member of your legal support team. As an approved training provider by the Education & Skills Funding Agency (ESFA), we can guarantee that the training and professional development opportunities we offer are of the highest standard. Our diverse range of programs includes the Level 3 Paralegal, Level 7 Solicitor, Graduate Solicitor, and Team Leader Apprenticeships. These programs are designed to cater to various career stages and specialties within the legal field, providing a comprehensive pathway for your team’s growth and advancement.

Why choose us:

  • Trusted by over 27,000 solicitors
  • 20 years experience in the legal industry
  • Full online distant learning law apprenticeships for all levels
  • Dedicated apprenticeship team with qualified tutors
  • Partnered with Brightlink & Oxford University Press

If you would like to learn more about our approved training provider status please visit:


Level 3 Paralegal Apprenticeship: £10,450

Level 7 Solicitor Apprenticeship: £25,650

Graduate Solicitor Apprenticeship: £19,237

The Apprenticeship Levy is a UK tax introduced in 2017 to fund apprenticeship programs. Key points include:

  1. Eligibility: Employers with an annual pay bill over £3 million pay the levy.

  2. Levy Rate: The levy is 0.5% of the pay bill, excluding the first £3 million.

  3. Usage: Funds, accessible via a digital account, are for apprenticeship training and assessment, with a 10% government top-up. Unused funds expire in 24 months.

  4. Non-Levy Payers: Smaller employers not paying the levy can still access government-funded apprenticeships, with the government covering 95% of costs.

  5. Goal: To enhance the quality and availability of apprenticeships and encourage investment in workforce training.

Apprenticeship funding can only be used towards the cost of apprenticeship training. Other forms of training that is not an apprenticeship will not qualify for levy funding.

This funding can be used for your companies existing employees within your firm or any new employees that you would want to hire.

No, employees do not have to pay for their apprenticeship training. In the UK, the cost of apprenticeship training is primarily covered by the employer and the government.

For levy-paying employers, the apprenticeship training costs are funded through the apprenticeship levy they pay. These employers use the funds in their Digital Apprenticeship Service account to pay for the training and assessment of their apprentices.

For non-levy-paying employers, the government provides substantial funding (up to 95%) for apprenticeship training. The employer is required to co-invest a small portion (usually 5%) of the total training cost.

This funding arrangement ensures that apprentices can receive training without incurring personal financial costs. The focus is on providing accessible, funded training opportunities to support skills development in the workforce.

To determine if your business is a levy or non-levy paying entity for UK apprenticeship funding, check your annual payroll size:

  1. Levy-Paying Businesses: If your annual payroll exceeds £3 million, you’re a levy-paying employer, contributing 0.5% of your payroll over this threshold to the apprenticeship levy. You use the Digital Apprenticeship Service to access these funds for apprenticeship training.

  2. Non-Levy Paying Businesses: If your payroll is under £3 million, you’re a non-levy-paying employer. You don’t contribute to the levy but can access government-funded apprenticeships, with the government covering 95% of training costs and you paying the remaining 5%.

Only investments in high-quality apprenticeship programmes can be made with levy funds. The levy money has been used to encourage more businesses to hire apprentices and help more people get started in fulfilling careers.

The levy provides businesses with more leeway and options in how they provide apprenticeships, whether that means funding degree equivalent apprenticeships or GCSE-level programmes.